The original school in the community of Dutton was called Sand Mountain Institute. It was built around 1875 and served as a school for both teachers and students. The two-story building had pot-bellied heaters, wooden benches and a stage. Grades one through eleven were taught there.
This school burned in 1925, and a new one was built. When it perished in a 1957 fire, community residents financed and constructed a new building. This school, which is the existing building, originally contained nine classrooms, an office, and a cafeteria. A gymnasium and library were built in 1968.
A new library was built in 1993, and the original library was converted into a classroom. During the 1997-98 school year, two new classrooms and restroom facilities were added to accommodate the increasing enrollment. Four additional classrooms were also added during the 2003-2004 school year.